- Posted by MG UG
- On November 25, 2020
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg
Closing Date: December 16, 2020
Under the general direction of the Transportation Systems Planning Engineer, the Transportation Data Scientist (TDS) is responsible for large scale and targeted statistical, geographic, data analysis of transportation data within the transportation systems planning branch and transportation division. The position identifies opportunities for operational improvements and efficiencies and to provide inputs to support capital and operating business case development, prioritization and investment.
The TDS derives actionable insights from transportation-related data, serves as the division’s technical subject matter expert on the visualization and analysis of geospatial transportation data (i.e., location intelligence), works in collaboration with Transportation Assets Data Scientist for the development and integration of new visualizations, analytics, and reporting tools into the Transportation Division’s workflow processes, and researches best practices, new technologies, and new data initiatives.
Data sets managed by this position include:
- Transportation network performance data;
- Vehicle count, speed, and classification data collected through the Traffic Monitoring Program;
- Pedestrian and cyclist count data collected through the Active Transportation Monitoring Program;
- Collision data from MPI;
- Traffic data requests inventory;
- Census data;
- Travel survey and origin-destination data;
- Population and land use data;
- Transit and signal timing data for modeling purposes;
- Road network asset and classifications;
- Traffic signs and regulation inventory; and
- Other new data sources.
As the Transportation Data Scientist you will:
- Provides departmental data analysis and reporting as per divisional requirements.
- Maintains and manages the City of Winnipeg Transportation Division’s databases used for traffic monitoring and transportation planning.
- Lead the development and integration of new visualizations, analytics, and reporting tools into the Division’s workflow processes.
- Integrate and maintain new data sources to enhance decision making tools within the branch
- Research best practices, new technologies, and new data initiatives in order to increase operational efficiency
Your education and qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geomatics, Computer Science, Statistics, Applied Math, or related field or, an approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of 4 years experience in geomatics analysis, advanced data analytics, including organizing, compiling, manipulating, analyzing and summarizing large datasets
- Experience with GIS (Geographic Information System) / GLI (Geospatial and Location Intelligence), cartography and mapping to develop GIS applications
- Experience in data collection, writing summaries, and visualizing data
- Experience conducting research, analyzing complex issues and making recommendations based on sound judgement
- Experience working in an industry in which a service is delivered over a physical network is preferred. (e.g., transportation, postal service, goods delivery)
- Strong analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills,
- Excellent written communication skills and experience writing highly technical reports for a variety of stakeholders within all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and teamwork skills in order to work cooperatively, collaboratively, and professionally with fellow employees at all levels of the organization, consultants and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral communication skills in order to present findings effectively to a wide variety of audiences
- Ability to establish and manage effective partnerships and agreements with a wide variety of community/business groups, agencies, associations and civic departments
- Ability to work independently under minimal supervision and take initiative
- Knowledge of transportation engineering and transportation planning theory and principles is preferred
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the Employer will be required from the successful candidate, at their expense
CORE COMPETENCIES: FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.