- Posted by MG UG
- On March 14, 2021
- 0 Comments
City of Winnipeg
Under the general supervision of the Customer Technical Services Supervisor, the Technologist 1 is responsible for assisting in the administration of the Sewer, Water and Lot Grading By-laws, conducting survey works and field inspections, assisting in the provision of underground clearances and updating/maintaining records.
As the Technologist 1 you will:
- Assist in the administration of the Sewer, Water and Lot Grading By-laws by:
- Review building permit applications for lot grading and sewer and water connections for residential development. Selects and adapts varied lot grade designs for infill development, by examining and checking lot grade plan submissions.
- Assists in reviewing applications relating to the Sewer By-law and the administration for the repair or replacement of private wastewater sewer connections.
- Conduct survey works such as preliminary, construction, as-built, drainage, quantitative, landfill, location of structures, lot grading and miscellaneous surveys using conventional and electronic survey equipment.
- Conduct field inspections, as required on such matters as lot grading/drainage and sewer and water connections to ensure compliance with applicable by-laws and the City of Winnipeg Standard Construction Specifications.
- Provide general customer service in person and by telephone to property owners, contractors, builders and other City offices.
- Update/maintain records.
- Assist in the provision of underground locates by:
- Schedule underground locates for utility contractors and customers.
- Provide customers with information on the location of sewer and water connections on private property.
- Recognize errors in record information and reports same to appropriate staff.
- Perform other duties consistent with the classification in support of the Branch mandate, as required.
Your education and qualifications include:
- Must be a graduate in Civil Engineering Technology from a recognized Institute of Technology, such as Red River College. (Discipline in Municipal Engineering Technology preferred).
- Must be eligible for membership in C.T.T.A.M. (Certified Technicians & Technologists Association of Manitoba) as a Certified Engineering Technologist (C.E.T.).
- Must have three (3) years’ experience relating to municipal engineering and the duties of the position.
- Must have experience in the administration of the Sewer, Water and Lot Grading By-laws.
- Experience in providing service to the public and contractors relative to sewer and water servicing.
- Experience in using the GIS software utilized by the Department to view and query sewer and water data.
- Demonstrated ability to interpret field/survey notes, blueprints, legal descriptions, record drawings, specifications and by-laws.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with customers in a courteous and tactful manner, in highly stressful and/or confrontational situations.
- Demonstrated ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public, in accordance with the Respectful Workplace Standard.
- Demonstrated ability to understand and execute verbal and written communication.
- Ability to use or learn the computer programs and systems employed by the Branch for lot grade permits and deposits, sewer and water permits and inputting and maintaining lot grade data.
- Must have, or be able to acquire in a reasonable period of time, a thorough knowledge of the occupational hazards and the safety precautions and regulations that are applicable to the position’s area of work.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s Licence.
- Physically capable of performing the duties of the position, including confined space entries and access to physically demanding locations.
CORE COMPETENCIES for ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.