- Posted by MG UG
- On January 25, 2021
- 0 Comments
University of Manitoba
At the University of Manitoba our strength lies in our community — individuals who are driven by curiosity and work together to shape a better world.
Our commitment to discovery encompasses everything we do; from the education we offer students to the workplace we offer employees. Experience top benefits, world-class facilities and a community that inspires one another to carve their own path.
Recognized as one of Manitoba’s Top 25 Employers for the eighth consecutive year and one of Canada’s Best Diversity Employers, the U of M is ready to help you take the next step in your career!
Reporting to the Department Head of Plant Science, the Station Supervisor supports the 164 ha agricultural field research station, 10,000 square foot research and continuing education building, and equipment storage and outbuildings located in Carman, Manitoba (located 75 km south west of Winnipeg). This property is an extension of the Department of Plant Science’s location for applied crop research, continuing education and outreach. The building is utilized for agricultural research and delivery of academic, industry, government and community organization meetings, training and workshops. As a representative of the Department of Plant Science and the Faculty, the Technician works closely with farmers, the community and industry for outreach and engagement to build partnerships and will liaise on matters pertaining to agronomy, research, extension, site development and maintenance. The Technician supports academic staff on land use, field planning and crop rotations. She/he maintains and collects detailed records of all field and building activities, ensures the security buildings, equipment and property, coordinates educational events and is the main contact for building emergencies. She/he supervises, orients and trains full time and seasonal staff and is responsible for coordination of classroom, lab and research space.
The qualifications and experience we’re looking for:
· Master of Science in Agriculture with major in agronomy, crop protection or plant science or an equivalent combination of education and experience required
· Minimum 5 years field management experience conducting small-plot research and field-scale demonstrations. Training and demonstrated experience in operating and maintenance of a wide range of field equipment, including plot seeders, harvesters, etc., as well as full sized agricultural equipment. Current knowledge of modern cropping practices, including weed, insect and disease management. Experience in data analysis and proficient in use of geographical information and mapping software, spreadsheets, databases and word processing software.
· Supervisory experience required. Class 3 driver’s license required
· Good organizational and interpersonal skills required
· Ability to work with students, academic staff and industry personnel. To conduct repairs to agricultural machinery and building, welding knowledge. No allergies to grain dust, agricultural chemicals, etc. Must be physically capable of carrying out the full scope of duties outlined.
Why the University of Manitoba?
Along with being one of Manitoba’s top employers, we are proud to provide a collaborative and enriching work environment. In addition to a strong compensation package with a competitive salary, the University provides an exceptional workplace that includes:
- Comprehensive group benefits program and pension plan.
- Competitive vacation time
- Access to the university’s state-of-the-art fitness facilities.
- Employee and Family Assistance Program.
- A full spectrum of professional development opportunities.
Ready to take the next step in your career? Apply today through the University of Manitoba’s career portal, UM Careers where you will find the full job specification: https://viprecprod.ad.umanitoba.ca/DEFAULT.ASPX?REQ_ID=14479
Closing Date: February 2, 2021
Applications will only be accepted if you apply on UM Careers.
The University of Manitoba is strongly committed to equity and diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from women, racialized persons, Indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, persons of all sexual orientations and genders, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
If you require accommodation supports during the recruitment process, please contact 204-474-8371. Please note this contact information is for accommodation reasons only.
Application materials, including letters of reference, will be handled in accordance with the protection of privacy provisions of “The Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy” (Manitoba). Please note that curriculum vitae will be provided to participating members of the search process.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $55,000.40-$73,509.80 per year
- Company pension
- Dental care
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Tuition reimbursement
- Monday to Friday