- Posted by MG UG
- On September 30, 2020
- 0 Comments
Canadian Wildlife Federation
As one of Canada’s largest not for profit leaders in wildlife conservation, research, and advocacy, we are seeking to fill the following position…
B.C. Fish Passage Restoration Initiative (5.5-month term)
Reporting to the Senior Conservation Biologist, Freshwater Ecology, The Spatial Analyst will manage and analyze geospatial data relating to barriers to aquatic connectivity to support project selection and implementation for fish passage improvement in British Columbia. They will work with project partners to compile and map barriers to fish passage, support the development and execution of prioritization models, and provide any geospatial technical support necessary throughout each phase of the projects.
- Manage, update, and query existing geospatial databases for barrier and other ecologically relevant data (e.g., species distribution and habitat data, threat and stressor data)
- Perform QA/QC of barrier data and other datasets to ensure consistency and quality of data
- Standardize, populate, and manage new RDBMS tables as needed (PostgreSQL/PostGIS)
- Undertake basic geospatial analysis, including aligning barrier point data with hydrologic dendritic networks to ensure topological coincidence and performing network analysis on a hydrological dataset
- Develop, update, and execute Python and SQL scripts to query data and run a barrier prioritization model
- Work with team members to develop ecologically-defensible model parameters based on the latest scientific knowledge
- Contribute technical expertise to fish passage improvement planning and prioritization exercises to identify priority barriers for removal/remediation
- Produce professional maps of high cartographic quality to support decision making and project planning
- Requires minimum Bachelor’s degree or post-grad certificate with relevant work experience in related fields (Biology, Environmental Science or Studies, Geography, Geographic Information Systems, Geomatics, Spatial Analysis).
- Experience managing and analyzing large-scale spatial datasets.
- Extensive experience performing spatial analyses with Geographic Information Systems (e.g., QGIS), including raster and vector datasets.
- Extensive knowledge of relational database management systems (RDBMS), including writing and executing Structured Query Language (SQL) scripts.
- Experience working with hydrological and/or ecological datasets
- Experience writing and executing code and scripts for data manipulation, spatial analysis, and geospatial model development in Python or other programming platforms.
- Experience producing high-quality map products, for print and web.
- Strong English written and oral communication skills.
- Conservation planning or freshwater ecology experience.
- Experience with geospatial prioritization/optimization scripting and modelling.
- Experience reviewing and synthesizing scientific literature.
- Experience collecting, manipulating, analyzing, and interpreting scientific data and contributing to reports of findings.
- Experience using QGIS for spatial analysis
- Experience using PostgreSQL DBMS.
- Experience with designing compelling data visualizations and/or constructing interactive web maps.
- Ability to communicate in French.
- This position is a work from home position. The candidate can be located anywhere in Canada.
- Aiming for a start date of October 15, 2020.
- This is a contract position with an end date of March 31, 2021, with possibility of extension.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 6, 2020
HOW TO APPLY:
Cover letter and resume should be forwarded by October 6, 2020. Please quote position title that you are applying for in the subject line of your email. Only the candidates who meet the qualifications and experience for the position will be contacted for an interview. We thank you for your interest in the Canadian Wildlife Federation.
AODA Statement for Offer of Employment
Canadian Wildlife Federation “CWF” is committed to accessibility and to protecting the human rights of its employees. In support of this aim, CWF has implemented an accommodation process that provides accommodations for employees with disabilities. CWF will accommodate employees with disabilities up to the point of undue hardship.
The accommodation supports available to employees are laid out in our Accommodation Policy. If your acceptance of the terms and conditions of this Offer of Employment necessitates a specific accommodation because of a disability or a medical need, please contact the Human Resources Department. This ensures that the appropriate accommodations are in place before you begin your employment. Do not hesitate to reach out to the Human Resources Department if you require an accommodation related to a disability or a medical condition at any point during your employment with CWF.
Contract length: 5.5 months
Application deadline: 2020-10-06
Expected start date: 2020-10-15
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
- Casual dress
- Paid time off
- Work from home
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
This is a work from home position, we encourage all staff to follow safety protocols to limit their own exposure.
To apply for this job please visit cwf-fcf.org.