- Posted by MG UG
- On May 18, 2020
- 0 Comments
University of Winnipeg
Senior Research Assistant, Automation of Land Cover Mapping Using Machine Learning and Python Code
Senior Research Assistants are graduate students, or University of Winnipeg undergraduate students, employed to assist in the execution and evaluation of research projects in their area of study. The positions may oversee Research Assistants in areas such as the use of proper techniques, analysis, and documentation.
Senior Research Assistants work under the general supervision or direction of more senior researchers or faculty members, and are expected to exercise judgment in prioritizing, planning and organizing their own work within defined parameters.
The successful candidate will be contributing to three research goals within the project: (1) Neural network mapping for land cover application in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta; (2) Mapping surface water area in for better hydro generation estimates in Manitoba using remote sensing data and python; and (3) To establish best methods for calculating surface water volume (km3) and develop python code for automated volume estimates of surface water (km3).
- Preparation of satellite data for mapping land cover using neural networks.
- Learn about our existing methods on neural network for mapping land cover in Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- Optimize existing python code for calculating surface water area (km2).
- Conduct error analysis of surface water area (km2) products using various threshold approaches to determine the best product; automate this process.
- Determine the best method to calculate surface water volume (km3) for Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
- Automate the process of calculating surface water volume (km3) for large area analysis and multi-temporal analysis.
- Write report on methods and results and present to our client, Manitoba Hydro (assisted by faculty members).
- Undergraduate degree in Mathematics; preference given to candidates with a Master’s degree in mathematics.
- Completed the following courses: Computers and Computing Programming, Programming Technologies, Databases, Operating Systems, Mathematical Modeling, Computational Methods, Linear Programming, Pattern Recognition, and Data Visualization.
- Must be a student who will is returning or attending UWinnipeg in Fall 2020.
- Experience using the following: Python for Data Science, R and SQL, Machine Learning, Deep Learning with Karet, Data Visualization, IBM Watson Studio, Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio, AWS, Jupyter Notebook, R, Studio.
- Some experience with pre-processing of satellite remote sensing data for machine learning
- Ability to work independently and currently also have to be able to work remotely.
The period of work will be from May 18, 2020 – September 18, 2020, and the estimated total hours of work will be 0 – 630.
Note: This position is represented by the Public Service Alliance of Canada – Research Capacity Unit.
The University of Winnipeg is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion and recognizes that a diverse staff/faculty benefits and enriches the work, learning and research environments, and is essential to academic and institutional excellence. We welcome applications from all qualified individuals and encourage women, members of racialized communities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity to confidentially self-identify at time of application. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
To apply for this job please visit ca.indeed.com.