- Posted by MG UG
- On November 26, 2020
- 0 Comments
Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Level (Reading) –
Language Skill Level (Writing) –
Language Skill Level (Speaking) –
Status of Employment Permanent
Work schedule(s) Full-time
Work at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
CBC News has an opening for a reporter with special expertise in the field of data journalism. The successful candidate will be acquiring and analyzing raw data to use as a journalistic source to tell stories of public interest. This particular position is based in Winnipeg. The individual chosen will enhance the scope and impact of the CBC’s original, enterprise, investigative and daily journalism and help provide audiences the power to understand and shape their world.
We are looking for a reporter with an understanding of where useful data exists, how to find it and how to mine it for the production of highly-relevant, impact journalism. You enjoy working in a fast-paced, competitive media environment. You also work exceptionally well with a news team and can make that team better by offering original ideas leading to compelling news coverage across all platforms.
In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve. You will further our original, enterprise and investigative storytelling and ensure we are talking about what matters most to people throughout Manitoba and Saskatchewan.
You’re innovative and will try new things, new workflows and new story treatments. You inspire others to do the same.
As the industry shifts, local news and community storytelling is more important than ever. You will understand the diverse and changing population in Manitoba and Saskatchewan and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content.
You live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- Strong skills in acquiring and analyzing data.
- Familiarity with existing public data sets (acquiring and analyzing data, familiarity with existing public data sets, using web scraping techniques) – an asset.
- Advanced skills in searching for and acquiring open source intelligence.
- Expertise in filing freedom of information and access to information requests.
- Strong understanding of data journalism trends and their implication for story generation and development.
- Proven proficiency using social media tools.
- Experience in evaluating potential legal, ethical and journalistic issues surrounding story treatments, and ability to act on them.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Excel.
- Proficiency with SQL, GIS and data visualization software an asset
- Knowledge of programming languages – an asset.
- Strong writing skills and experience in broadcast platforms.
- Flexibility with hours of work and willingness to learn and take on new tasks across all CBC platforms.
- Ability to work effectively under newsroom deadline pressure.
- Takes direction well, works cooperatively but also a self-starter.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; strong team player.
- University degree or equivalent.
- Three (3) years’ experience in journalism or equivalent, which demonstrates proven ability in the field.
We want to hear you, and see the work that you’ve done. Please include a link to your portfolio, website, video or blog in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
If this sounds interesting, please click on ”Apply online”. We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit the Diversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include all genders.
Job Posting Date
Nov 26, 2020, 8:41:41 AM
To apply for this job please visit cbc.taleo.net.