- Posted by MG UG
- On April 2, 2021
- 0 Comments
The Nature Conservancy of Canada
The Nature Conservancy of Canada (NCC) is the nation’s leading not-for-profit, private land conservation organization, working to protect our most important natural areas and the species they sustain. Since 1962, NCC and its supporters have protected 14 million hectares (more than 35 million acres) of ecologically significant land across Canada. NCC takes a collaborative, science-based approach to achieve conservation success for the sake of nature and Canadians. With a national office in Toronto and seven regional offices across the country, NCC delivers results you can walk on.
Purpose and General Description:
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Entering data into NCC’s Land Resource Management (LRM) database and geodatabases and providing regular reporting on data entry and management progress to the GIS Coordinator and assistants;
- Editing and manipulating spatial data;
- Identifying and resolving questions, inconsistencies, or missing information in the geodatabase and providing recommendations to prevent similar issues from occurring in the future;
- Supporting NCC staff by creating maps that meet detailed specifications;
- Responding to any spatial queries from NCC staff;
Required Skills and Attributes:
- Proficient with ESRI ArcGIS software (ArcMap), including experience with data creation, editing, and querying;
- Proficient with Microsoft office (Excel, Word);
- Demonstrated experience managing large data sets and/or prior experience with data conversion/migration projects;
- Education or previous work experience related to geomatics;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Highly motivated, analytical and detail oriented;
- Excellent time management skills and ability to meet deadlines
- An interest in conservation and education/work experience in natural sciences, environmental studies, or similar fields;
Terms of Employment:
- These are full-time positions (up to 16 weeks) starting within the period of May to August.
- This position is office-based and will be completed in a work from home setting. The use of the NCC office in Guelph will be dependent on COVID-19 safety guidance and best practices.
- Compensation: $16/hr
- Please note, hiring for this position is funding dependent.
- Funding restrictions for this position requires that applicants meet the following criteria;
- Must be between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the start of employment.
- Must be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of employment;
- Must have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial legislation and regulations
If you are interested in joining our team, please submit your application through our Career Centre.
Application Deadline: [April 12, 2021 11:59 pm]
NCC is an equal opportunity employer. We thank everyone who applies for their interest in the Nature Conservancy of Canada; however only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
NCC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
We value and incorporate diverse traditions, heritage, knowledge and experiences in our mission and in our workplaces. We celebrate the full participation of people from all walks of life as we work towards common goals. We strive for a conservation movement in which equity, diversity and inclusion are the norm. This is our continuous commitment: to promote healthy people, healthy communities and a healthy planet for everyone.