- Posted by MG UG
- On March 19, 2021
- 0 Comments
Grand Council Treaty #3
Position Title: GIS Technician
Location: Grand Council Treaty #3 Administrative Office
Closing Date: Open until filled
Reporting to the Territorial Planning Unit Director, the GIS Technician will provide a broad range of technical GIS evaluation and advisory services to Treaty 3 Communities on a variety of environmental, natural resources, and related issues. This will include professional cartographic map creation, manage and implement the Treaty #3 Geospatial Database, Geospatial Data analysis, development and implementation of data sharing protocols and a range of GIS related initiatives as it pertains to Natural Resources and the environment in the Treaty #3 Territory.
· Provides technical advisory services as an GIS technician to support decision making at in the Territorial Planning Unit.
· Provides services throughout the Treaty 3 Territory as a technical advisor, which includes providing strategic advice and training to Treaty 3 Communities to promote awareness and build capacity in relation to GIS initiatives and technologies and similar issues occurring in the treaty 3 Territory.
· Conducts structured analysis of the environmental, natural resources, or related issues and prepares comprehensive technical reports or briefing notes from Geographical datbases and related systems to meet the needs of GCT3.
· Research and develop data sharing protocols.
· Lead the implementation and training of the Treaty #3 Geospatial Databse.
· Provide GIS services such as spatial analysis, map creation, database management, data collection and visualization using a range of GIS softwares and technologies.
· Builds and maintains relationships with Treaty 3 communities and other organizations to stimulate information sharing.
· Meets with Treaty 3 Communities to gain an understanding of local issues and enhance working relationships with each community.
· Organizes and attends meetings to present general information to Treaty 3 Communities and acts as general point of contact for TPU on all GIS related matters.
· Conducts data gathering, investigation, and technical evaluation using advanced software and database tools, as appropriate.
· Represents Grand Council Treaty 3 at meetings, workshops, and conferences specific to portfolios held or as directed by an immediate supervisor.
· Assists in the day-to-day administration of the Territorial Planning Unit.
· A Bachelor’s degree or diploma in GIS (or related field)
· 2-5 years experience in the use of GIS technologies (ArcGIS, Qgis, Excel, etc)
· valid Ontario driver’s license
· Knowledge of Treaty #3 and Anishinaabe Worldview, Cultural protocols and language will be considered an asset.
· eligible to work in Canada
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills that take into consideration the complexity of information and intended audience.
· Excellent analytical and data management skills (including skills relate to development of spreadsheets and data entry to large complex systems).
· Ability to work independently and in a team atmosphere, trouble shooting GIS issues and strong time management to manage simultaneous projects.
· Ability to establish and maintain effective, respectful working relationships with GCT3 staff, Treaty #3 First Nations, federal or provincial ministerial staff, and the general public.
· Experience working in Natural Resources Management and First Nations issues
· Ability to work independently and manage workloads, set priorities, meet deadlines, work under pressure, and adjust to constant change.
Please send cover letter, resume, link to related GIS portfolio and contact information for 3 references to the attention of:
Oluyinka Leigh, Human Resources Manager
Grand Council Treaty #3
P.O Box 1720 Kenora, Ontario P9N 3X7
Apply on our website: http://gct3.ca/jobs/gis-technician/
We would like to thank all candidates in advance for their interest in this position, however only those being considered will be contacted.
Job Type: Full-time
- Monday to Friday
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Plastic shield at work stations
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
To apply for this job please visit gct3.ca.