- Posted by MG UG
- On April 29, 2021
- 0 Comments
Website Manitoba Government
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created for similar positions and will remain in effect for 6 months.
The Manitoba government is emerging as a national social innovation leader and the creation of a dedicated SIO shows strong commitment in advancing the province’s Transformation Strategy. The SIO, in this role, is looking at new ways of solving complex social problems and working to bolster the capacity of other departments to engage in meaningful, innovative and solution-oriented approaches. It aims to establish and maintain relationships with internal and external stakeholders and promotes the development of social innovation tools with the goal of improving the lives of all Manitobans.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must have satisfactory criminal records check with vulnerable sector search, adult abuse registry check and child abuse registry check
- Master’s degree or higher in Social Sciences (or related discipline: statistics or mathematics) with a strong background in quantitative methods; a combination of relevant education and experience may be considered
- Extensive experience designing and executing inferential analytics and leading other quantitative research projects with diverse, complex data sets that require significant cleaning, linkage and management
- Strong interpersonal skills and well-developed political acumen to foster positive collaboration and build strong working relationships with internal and external stakeholders in a complex policy environment
- Proficient at translating policy and program based questions that can be answered with data
- Effective oral communication skills with experience communicating scientific knowledge and research to diverse audiences in non-technical language and ability to build consensus around research findings
- Effective written communication skills to convey and produce complex materials for a variety of audiences, including the use of data visualization
- Experience with program evaluations from planning through execution
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills
- Excellent leadership and consulting skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment on complex projects, with multiple competing pressures and deadlines
- Extensive expertise in computers include the use of Microsoft Office Suite, multiple statistical software packages and languages (e.g. SPSS, SAS, R or Python)
- Experience designing and executing predictive analytics
- Experience with emerging techniques (e.g. machine learning, web scraping, sentiment analysis, etc.)
- Experience with GIS analysis
As the data scientist, you will act as the technical expert in the Social Innovation Office, completing specialized and complex data analytic projects. You will draw on your advanced knowledge of and experience with complex statistical methods, programming, data modelling and analytics to drive evidence-based decisions that have a positive impact on the lives of Manitobans. You will be responsible for translating the results of these projects to senior leaders in government and the community through reports and presentations.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.