- Posted by MG UG
- On November 22, 2020
- 0 Comments
Government of Manitoba
The Manitoba government recognizes the importance of building an exemplary public service reflective of the citizens it serves, where diverse abilities, backgrounds, cultures, identities, languages and perspectives drives a high standard of service and innovation. The Manitoba government supports equitable employment practices and promotes representation of designated groups (women, Indigenous people, persons with disabilities, visible minorities).
Employment Equity is a factor in selection for this competition. Consideration will be given to Indigenous people, visible minorities and persons with disabilities.
An eligibility list may be created to fill similar regular and term positions throughout the regional offices within the province, and will remain in effect for up to 12 months.
The Community and Regional Planning Branch supports the development of healthy, sustainable communities by providing regionally based community planning and development services. Located in eight regional centres across Manitoba and supported by a Winnipeg office, the Branch delivers professional and technical planning services to local planning authorities, northern communities and the public.
The Branch is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill the position of Community Planner.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada
- Must possess and maintain a valid full stage Manitoba Class 5 driver’s license.
- Eligible for Membership in Canadian Institute of Planners
- Must be able to travel to early morning and evening meetings throughout the Province, as required.
- Post-secondary degree in Urban, Rural or Regional Planning, An equivalent combination of a directly related degree and planning experience may be considered.
- Experience in land use planning, including review of development plans, zoning by-laws and subdivisions.
- Experience handling sensitive issues in a collaborative manner using tact and diplomacy.
- Strong problem solving skills with the ability to find solutions through negotiation, consultation, and collaboration.
- Experience working on complex policy and planning initiatives.
- Strong written communication skills to clearly and concisely prepare reports, briefing notes and memos at a professional level to present complex planning issues and recommendations.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
- Excellent interpersonal skills to facilitate effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and its application in the field of planning.
- Strong verbal communication skills to clearly articulate ideas to a wide range of audiences.
- Well-developed organizational and time management skills, including the ability to work under pressure to manage multiple deadlines with limited lead time.
- Experience positively adapting to changes in priorities and workload demands.
Under the direction of the Regional Manager, Community Planning, the Community Planner reviews subdivision, road, and public reserve closure applications for completeness, accuracy, clarity and conformity to applicable development plan and zoning bylaws. The Planner conducts site analysis and inventories of areas, prepares sketches and maps to support the reviews, and uses geographic information systems (GIS) to support the planning analysis.
This role also provides ongoing planning services to planning authorities, government agencies, consultants, and the public regarding community planning and sustainable development by assisting to create development plans, interpreting and applying provincial legislation, polices and regulations, and acting as the lead contact on files representing government interests and requirements.
WHEN APPLYING TO THIS POSITION, PLEASE INDICATE THE ADVERTISEMENT NUMBER AND POSITION TITLE IN THE SUBJECT LINE AND/OR BODY OF YOUR EMAIL.
Applicants may request reasonable accommodation related to the materials or activities used throughout the selection process. When applying to this position, please indicate the advertisement number and position title in the subject line and/or body of your email. Your cover letter, resumé and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Please be advised that job competitions may be grieved and appealed. Should a selection grievance be filed, information from the competition file will be provided to the grievor’s representative or the grievor, if unrepresented. Personal information irrelevant to the grievance and other information protected under legislation will be redacted.
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.