- Posted by MG UG
- On July 19, 2021
- 0 Comments
Website City of Winnipeg
Reporting to the Manager Legal Administrative Services, the Legal Assistant II is responsible for providing a broad range of coordination and administrative support services in the Legal Services Department, including preparation of legal documents and correspondence, answering telephone inquiries and performing reception and other related duties, as required. This position will be assigned to the portfolio of the Litigation, Labour & Employment Practice Group.
As the Legal Assistant 2, you will:
- Prepare and assemble a wide range of complex documents, including: pleadings and other documents related to litigation and administrative hearings, contracts, and other related legal documentation, with limited direction.
- Conduct electronic searches of records including those at the Manitoba Companies Office, Winnipeg Land Titles Office, Manitoba courts and the Personal Property Registry.
- Arrange for registrations in the Property Registry and the Manitoba Courts.
- Provide administrative support to our team of lawyers, primary assignment will be to Labour & Employment/Litigation team.
- Receive and respond to inquiries, referring only unusual circumstances to the solicitor.
- Gather essential information from various sources.
- Compile and maintain accurate filing and record keeping systems, including confirmation of closing dates and proper document registration, and compliance with trust conditions.
- Diarize tasks, deadlines and hearing dates, with appropriate and sufficient lead times, as may be required.
- Schedule meetings, hearings, and related attendances, together with appropriate resources.
- Draft correspondence.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City Departments, external law firms, and members of the public who do not have legal counsel.
- Perform other related administrative support functions, consistent with the classification, as required.
Your education and qualifications include:
- High school graduation and successful completion of a legal assistant training program from a recognized college, or an equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted.
- Related and recent experience (approximately 3-5 years) as a legal assistant in a law office or firm working with minimal supervision under the direction of a lawyer.
- Experience working in the areas of civil litigation, or labour & employment, or municipal hearings is an asset.
- Computer software skills in Microsoft Word (Advanced), Outlook, and Excel; and Adobe programing.
- Ability to undertake new work activities without specific direction; exercise sound judgment and react resourcefully under varying conditions and changing priorities, and deal with confidential matters discreetly and logically.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to work effectively with minimum supervision, set work priorities, schedule and meet work deadlines.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to produce accurate work and follow instructions which may be verbal and/or written.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships.
- Strong political acumen with the ability to represent Legal Services and interact with a variety of stakeholders at various levels within government and external organizations.
Conditions of employment:
- The successful applicant must maintain legal eligibility to work in Canada. If the successful applicant possesses a work permit, it is their responsibility to ensure the permit remains valid.
- A Police Information Check satisfactory to the employer will be required from the applicant or successful candidate, at their expense.
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR ALL EMPLOYEES OF THE CITY OF WINNIPEG:
- Citizen & Customer Focus
- Respecting Diversity
- Ethics and Values
- Integrity and Trust
- Results Oriented
How to Apply
APPLY ONLINE, including all documentation listed below:
- Current resume AND/OR Application Form (Required).
Applications submitted without REQUIRED documentation will not be considered.
Online applications can be submitted at http://www.winnipeg.ca/hr/. For instructions on how to apply and how to attach required documents please refer to our FAQ’s or contact 311. The City of Winnipeg uses the Korn Ferry Leadership Architect Competency Model as part of the recruitment process.
The salary range for this position is $1,966.23 – $2,125.50 bi-weekly, as per the Legal Assistant 2 classification within the CUPE Collective Agreement.
We have great benefits and competitive salaries, and we are committed to ongoing learning and career development!
WE SEEK DIVERSITY IN OUR WORKPLACE. INDIGENOUS PERSONS, WOMEN, VISIBLE MINORITIES, AND PERSONS WITH A DISABILITY ARE ENCOURAGED TO SELF-DECLARE.
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. Requests for Reasonable Accommodation will be accepted during the hiring process.
To apply for this job please visit careers.winnipeg.ca.