- Posted by MG UG
- On February 13, 2020
- 0 Comments
Davey Resource Group
Company: Davey Resource Group
Position: Wildlife Biologist (2 Opportunities Across Canada)
Locations: 100% travel is required for this position. Extended travel assignments throughout Canada.
Job Segment: Biology, Ornithology, Ecology, Environmental, Forestry, Vegetation Management
Employment Type: Full-time (40-50 hours/week)
Anticipated Start: Immediate, April, 2020
Davey Tree is one of the 20 largest employee-owned companies in North America. With over 10,500 employees, Davey offers unmatched opportunities of growth for motivated individuals looking to excel their career in the green industry. Davey has been committed to urban forestry, vegetation management and the enhancement and preservation of ecosystems since inception. Our multidisciplinary teams continue to expand while leading the front lines of research, innovation, customer experience and attaining industry leading professionals throughout North America.
Davey Resource Group is the consulting business unit of Davey Tree and provides a full range of natural resource and utility consulting services to numerous markets internationally. Davey Resource Group has two opportunities for experienced Wildlife Biologists, responsible for a comprehensive range of biological, wildlife and ecosystem consulting services with an immediate and specific emphasis on migratory bird surveys throughout Canadian Right of Ways. The Wildlife Biologist will work directly with operational employees to develop mitigation and protection measures aligned to the Migratory Birds Convention Act, Species at Risk Act, migratory bird best practices, provincial wildlife and ecosystem conservation policies, procedures and practices that prove to be both efficient yet effective. This position provides the opportunity to travel throughout Canada to experience various remote and diverse habitats. These positions will report directly to the Environmental Manager and offer a unique and rewarding opportunity to lead a pivotal role in the growth of a service line alongside expanding your career
Job Description and Responsibilities
The Wildlife Biologist will be the lead biologist on each assigned project and responsible for overall environmental consulting and adherence to all applicable laws, regulations and policies. Specific project responsibilities to the migratory bird sweeps will include but are not limited to completing environmental and wildlife field assessments, identifying bird species, identifying protected and endangered species, instituting bird protection and mitigation plans, writing reports with risk assessments and mitigation plans, research habitat and ecological relationships and monitoring operations for wildlife protection. The Biologist will also liaise with the client and external regulatory governmental agencies to ensure visibility and adherence to applicable provincial and federal applicable laws, regulations and industry standards. Additional consulting responsibility includes the development of best management practices and policies to enhance the Wildlife Biologist roles and standardize processes. Project management responsibility will include maintaining objectives, schedules, developing recovery plans, problem solving and participating in the identification and proposals of new wildlife and species at risk projects throughout Canada. Interpersonal skills will be utilized to enhance client relationships, develop new environmental services for retaining new business opportunities with both public and private sector clients.
Qualifications and Experience:
– Formal education in biology, ornithology, ecology, environmental science and management, natural resources, forestry or related field. Bachelor’s or Master’s degree preferred or a Diploma in conjunction with direct wildlife survey experience.
– Provincial designations mandatory as applicable such as Registered Professional Biologist R.P.Bio., Professional Biologist P.Biol. Qualified Environmental Professional QEP etc.
– 2-5 year’s direct working experience in wildlife biology, avian surveys, migratory bird sweeps, wildlife and environmental reports, government liaison and provincial/federal law and best practice adherence.
– Strong avian species identification and knowledge in the field and confidence to work independently as a site lead Biologist, with little supervision, outside, in all weather conditions and terrain.
– In-depth working knowledge of Migratory Bird Convention Act, Species at Risk Act, Migratory Birds Regulations and all other applicable provincial and federal environmental legislation and regulatory requirements levels.
– Demonstrated technical and consulting writing reports for acceptance by various levels of governmental agencies. An example of a written report may be requested during the interview process.
– Forestry, Urban Forestry, Utility, Vegetation Management experience or certifications considered an asset. Registered Professional Forester RPF, Registered Forestry Technician RFT, ISA Certified Arborist, Right-of-Way Stewardship knowledge.
– Strong understanding of various hardware, software and equipment including but not limited to Microsoft (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), various digital devices such as tablets, computers, GPS etc. Working knowledge of ArcGIS, Esri, AutoCAD considered strong assets.
– Valid First Aid, driver’s license, clean driving record and ability to travel throughout Canada.
Davey Resource Group offers rewarding compensation opportunities, full benefit packages, RRSP contribution, subsidiary pay for travel assignments and numerous additional remuneration and group incentives such as the employee stock purchasing program. The Davey Tree Expert Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please submit a cover letter and resume with attention to Ryan St. Pierre, Davey Resource Group Manager.
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.ca.